Tuesday, October 20, 2009

GIVE CREIDT WHERE IT'S DO...

I must say, I was surprised with our last two Skelly's.  Both were dropped down to LOI's, the Adverse Action dropped.  I know I have vented in the past on the un-fair justice we have been getting.  It feels good when a good cop is off the hook.  I have seen too many good cops get burned for simple mistakes.  And that gets frustrating after awhile.  I will always stress, we are human before we are Peace Officers.  We will make "honest mistakes" in our careers.  That's the point I am trying to get across to CDCr.  Again, no one is perfect.

I am still set firm on everyone treating others fair.  We do not need anymore stress.  So I will take that subject all the way to the top.  I will say this again to all Supervisors.  No matter your rank or pay-grade, we are on the same side.  It is us against the men in blue. I hope one day some will listen to this.

We had our monthly Wardens meeting today.  Many issues were brought forward on both sides.  

1)  Discussion on the hold-overs.  If the hold-overs don't ease off by the end of this week, we will sit down again with them and discuss the next options.  Some idea's thrown on the table were, initiating "Strike teams", letting Camp's come inside to work overtime.  Possibly reducing programs, and the swaps were brought up again.  I did ask them to please meet us half way on the swaps and not pull them completely.  I again brought up the issue that I had brought forward 6 weeks ago on closing programs when holdovers are held on their Friday's.

2)  Discussion on rosters;  There seems to be issues going on when the proper pay code is not on the roster's and staff are not being paid o.t.  Also we are pushing to get the seniority list for the duel appointments so they are hired fairly. 

3) We are still in discussion faze with the staff gym. 

4)  There was also some discussion on possibly making a plan for first watch if transports or something happens where first watch is at a dangerous low staffing level, we come up with a plan; ie:  Delay work release/short line/the morning meal until second watch came on shift.  This option will be further reviewed. 

Besides that, nothing else new to report.  It seems the state is scrambling around with all the staff retiring and receiving pink slips.  Locally it looks like we may be loosing ATLEAST 30-40 Officers.  This will be bad for us.  If anybody has any input on remedies for this, please forward them to me.

Staff Save and Sane
Lori Olah
CCC Chapter President



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are the time lines on these 30-40 retirements? Also, does Barnes have any firm information on when we may be getting any more staff from transfers or new hires?

LORI said...

I am hearing that 30 for sure by the end of December. I think that number will go up because I am sure there are some out there that we don't know about who are thinking about retiring.

Barnes said they keep asking for staff from the academy, but again it may look like we are on "low priority". There are 13 who want to transfer from HDSP, but HDSP will not release them until March. My personal though on this, I think we will be screwed. We have been talking to Barnes on this whole issue. He is talking to his boss in Sacramento trying to get them informed, so we just have to keep pushing and pushing. Some prisons have over a 100 vacancies already. We are not the only ones going through this.

Hope this helps.