Wednesday, February 23, 2011

MARQUES JONES FOR CCPOA STATEWIDE PRESIDENT

For those of you that do not know me my name is Marques Jones. I am currently a Correctional Sgt at Kern Valley State Prison and I am running for the position of CCPOA’s State Wide President.


I joined the Marine Corps in 1979. Served a total of thirteen years, three months,three days, and four hours on active duty. Spent three years as a Drill Instructor at Parris Island, in South Carolina. Acted as an instructor at the Non Commissioned Officer (NCO) Leadership Academy. Sorry Army, Navy, and Air Force don’t hold it against me. I joined the Department of Corrections in 1994. Became a union activist officially in 1998 when I attended job steward training. Was elected as Chapter President in 2002 at Chuckawalla Valley State Prison. Re-elected in 2005. Transferred to Kern Valley State Prison in June 0f 2005 as Chief job Steward to activate the prison. Elected as Chapter President in 2006, and re-elected in 2009.


I believe in paying your dues to establish a solid foundation. I was a job steward on every watch, negotiated, served on the Political Action Committee(PAC), represented members, filed grievances, led job actions, and activated a level four prison. Anyone who desires to be a good union activist will soon understand you sacrifice, and devote yourself twenty-four hours a day. The work consumes you.


My problem with the current Executive Council is their absolute lack of leadership and I feel they have lost touch with the members. There is a disconnect and we have become dysfunctional. We have become the enemy we used to fight, and the Executive Council has forgotten the unions primary mission, advancing the Correctional Officer Series. Rehabilitation is the departments responsibility, we can work with them to affect change, but the burden lies with them.

The biggest challenge facing the organization is restoring the faith of members in CCPOA. Everything is possible once members believe they come first and foremost. Leadership must diligently work to bring members back into the fold. I am a proven leader, motivated, and principled. I believe, Excuse me I know, I can affect the change necessary if elected.


I look forward to speaking with as many of you that want to talk and I encourage all of you to take a proactive role in setting CCPOA straight by not only ensuring your local boards cast their vote for me but becoming an activist for yourself and your life.


Marques Jones
raide81944@scbglobal.net

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WTG Marques. Hope you win and get our union back. We are so tired of the b.s. in Sacramento. WE NEED YOU!!!! Screw Chuck

Anonymous said...

I see how our local unioin is going to be, Don is gonna kiss our E.C.'s ass and do whatever he is told. he doesn't care about what we want. If this happens, then we need to recall Don and his whole wrecking crew.
Tired Guard4life

Anonymous said...

WE NEED CHANGE IN HEADQUARTERS.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.